Provincial Policy Specialist
- August 6, 2018
Please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), a leader in Canadian habitat conservation, is seeking an experienced policy specialist to join our Alberta Operations team.
In this position, you will be responsible for:
- representing DUC on various industry, government and partner boards and committees.
- maintaining a thorough knowledge of public policy development, implementation and analysis (related to the natural resource, conservation, oil and gas, mining and agricultural sectors) and how they impact DUC’s core business.
- assisting in the development of policy decision documents, which include background discussion, option analysis, recommendations, and proposed strategic action for DUC’s internal review.
- developing formal written correspondence, policy briefings, position papers, DUC submissions, presentations, communications materials and other support materials.
- building relationships, working contacts, and political influence with key partners, particularly rural municipalities.
- working with DUC policy, outreach and program delivery staff, other stakeholders and government in a coordinated manner to further our conservation cause.
Your minimum five years of experience working in the public policy field and thorough knowledge of public policy analysis, development, implementation and management will make you the ideal candidate for this position, which will be based from our dog-friendly office in Camrose, AB.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in natural resource management, agricultural sciences, environmental science, environmental policy, ecology or related fields.
- Working knowledge of policy-related processes at all levels of government and their implications to DUC’s objectives, and be able to apply that knowledge in achieving DUC’s policy goals.
- An understanding of Municipal, Provincial and Federal policy processes and their relevance to DUC’s business is essential.
- Proven ability to build positive working relationships with key officials within the provincial and federal governments, municipal government, conservation groups, agricultural producer groups, community groups, academic community and industry
- Strong planning, reporting and project management skills.
- Strong analytical, writing, organization and communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including the MS Office suite of programs.
- Proven ability to combine creativity with research and analytical skills.
- A valid driver’s license for travel throughout AB.
- Previous experience working on legislative and policy matters for a conservation organization or within the Alberta government would be considered an asset.
- Must have a passion for conservation.
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Closing deadline: August 6, 2018
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment.
Learn more at ducks.ca.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.