Wetland centres of excellence
Research shows that getting students active in local projects and providing them with real world models has significant value in changing understanding, attitudes and behaviour. Ducks Unlimited Canada works with students and educators to support Wetland Centres of Excellence in select secondary and senior elementary schools, where funding and resources allow.
- 18 centres and growing
- Over 750 WCE students engaged annually in wetland studies and conservation projects
- 7,000 – 10,000 elementary students take part in field trips delivered by WCE student mentors
Here are some of projects our partner schools are involved with:
Studies or monitoring
(water quality, species inventories, bird banding)
Students get involved in bird banding and provide information to researchers. The students at Timiskaming Secondary School in northern Ontario built special bird banding stations for their on-going program.
(nest boxes, wetland creation, planting, annual cleanups)
After students at Clarence Fulton Secondary School in Vernon, British Columbia carried out a wetland clean-up, they decided they needed to do more. Working with members of their community they created a new wetland, built boardwalks and carried out other habitat improvements to create their own outdoor classroom right beside their school.
(interpretive trails, educational signs, construction of a small nature centre or mentoring elementary school students)
Lead secondary students share their knowledge and enthusiasm for the environment with younger students who come from local elementary schools eager to learn. Mentoring programs to help teach new concepts in a fun and engaging way include critter dipping, biodiversity hikes and ecological games.
We assist a network of Wetland Centre of Excellence partner schools to get involved in creating their own long-term wetland conservation projects using a local wetland. This program helps encourage students to pursue related studies and careers in conservation through hands-on learning and leadership.
Wetland Centres of Excellence:
- Clarence Fulton Secondary School, Vernon, BC
- St. Andrews Regional High School, Victoria, BC
- Virden Collegiate Institute– WCE, Virden, MB
- Fort Richmond Collegiate – WCE, Winnipeg, MB
- Nellie McClung Collegiate, Manitou, MB
- Rivers Collegiate, Rivers, MBM
- The Tantramar Wetlands Centre – WCE, Sackville, NB
- Somerset and District Elementary School, Berwick, NS
- CEMH École secondaire du Mont-Sainte-Anne, Beaupré, QC
Ontario WCEs Visit the Ontario WCE Blog for more information
- East Elgin Secondary School, Aylmer, ON
- Timiskaming District Secondary School, New Liskeard, ON
- Wellington Heights Secondary School, Mount Forest, ON
- Sir John A. Macdonald Collegiate Institute, Toronto, ON
- West Carleton Secondary School – WCE, Ottawa, ON
- Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute, Toronto, ON
- Nepean High School, Ottawa, ON
- Holy Trinity School, Richmond Hill , ON
- Peninsula Shores District School, Wiarton, ON