Conservation Program Specialist – Field Manager
- January 28, 2022
The Pas, Manitoba
Please submit your application through our online career center for confidential consideration.
Who We Are
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of the nation’s leading conservation organizations, is a passionate community of people who believe that nature is the foundation of strong communities, a prosperous economy and a sustainable future that supports the hopes and dreams of the next generation. Together, we conserve and restore some of the most valuable and threatened landscapes on the planet.
What You Will Do
As a Conservation Program Specialist and member of the Manitoba Habitat Asset Management Team (HAM), you will be responsible for assisting the HAM team to manage water control structures on DUC Wetland Projects within the Saskatchewan River Delta. You will provide direction into annual water level planning, development and implementation. You will support Regional Engineering staff to perform maintenance or replacement of water control works. Your work will involve leading liaising with public, stakeholders and external partners. You will be required to work in a remote location in a variety of weather.
Who You Are
You need to be an enthusiastic team player – a self-starter who can work with anyone, can see the bigger picture and enjoys thinking out of the box. You are an effective communicator who can build and lead positive working relationships with various staff of local governments, landowners, industry, agricultural producers and Indigenous Communities.
You possess strong leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills. You have expertise in project planning and execution, financial and contract management and contractor/construction supervision. You are self-motivated, enjoy a complex, changing environment and can manage numerous projects on tight deadlines.
Your minimum three years’ experience, related knowledge and academic achievements make you the ideal candidate for this very diverse and challenging opportunity
- An environmental or biological science diploma is preferred but other diplomas in related disciplines will be considered
- Strong planning, reporting and project management skills
- An understanding of local agricultural, industry and conservation practices
- Knowledge of sustainable and integrated resource management
- Experience with GPS, ArcGIS, MS Office, AutoCAD and airphoto interpretation
- Awareness of MB Occupational Health and Safety practices
- Knowledge of the MB Water Protection Act, Dam Safety Regulations and the approvals process
- Excellent organization, interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
- A valid class 5 driver’s license
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card, ATV, Chainsaw, MED A3 and Aviation egress would be assets
- Experience operating various equipment such as: ATVs, Snowmobiles, boats, chainsaws, brush saws and hand tools
- Practical experience with engineered water control structures, wetland and upland conservation projects, agriculture and biology would all be considered assets.
- Ability to work long/flexible hours, with possible travel
- Construction and heavy equipment supervision experience an asset
- The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your application through our online career center for confidential consideration.
Closing deadline: January 28, 2022 (11:59PM EST)
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners and Indigenous Peoples to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.