Conservation Programs Specialist – Crew Lead (1 Term Position) Fraser Estuary Salmon Surveys and Invasive Plant Management
- March 5, 2021
Please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations, is seeking a Crew Lead to coordinate and implement salmon surveys and invasive plant management activities associated with habitat restoration projects in the Fraser Estuary.
This is an opportunity to take on a leadership role in delivering a field program and act as a resource for other employees. Field equipment will be provided by DUC and candidates will be trained in safe use of all necessary equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work in a tidal environment, set nets, enumerate, identify, and safely handle juvenile salmonids and other fish species
- Removal of invasive vegetation at Fraser Estuary projects and at some other locations in the Lower Mainland
- Coach/lead a crew of 3 conservation technician crew members in fish survey and identification
- Complete fish survey data entry regularly
- Maintain nets and other equipment as needed
- Adhere to DUC’s safety procedures and ensures other crew members also comply with safety procedures
- Complete field safety documentation
- Recent graduate or an early career professional with training in agriculture, biology, plant ecology, environmental science or resource management preferred
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Experience and knowledge of juvenile salmon identification and enumeration techniques
- Comfortable working outdoors in tidal environment during inclement weather
- Awareness of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Valid current driver’s license (in good standing) and a current driver’s abstract
- Knowledge of basic biology, local species and ecosystems; GPS-based technologies and survey techniques; computer programs such as the Microsoft suite of programs; ArcGIS an asset
- Operation of field equipment (provided by DUC) including: Motorboat, dissolved oxygen meter, fyke net, secci disk, brush cutters/brush saws, chest waders
- Safe Vessel Operation Procedures certification an asset
- This position involves physical work, heavy lifting and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Anticipated start date March 22, 2021; anticipated end date August 31, 2021
- Pay: $25 – $30 per hour, commensurate with experience. 35-hour work weeks (plus 4% vacation pay)
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Closing Deadline: March 5, 2021 (EST)
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.