Conservation Programs Specialist (Habitat Asset Management Program)
- December 20, 2019
Williams Lake, BC
Please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations, is looking for a confident, energetic and dedicated individual to join our wetland Habitat Asset Management (HAM) team in British Columbia.
As a member of our conservation team, you will be responsible to inspect, operate and maintain our water control infrastructure on wetland projects in BC’s Central Interior region.
Practical experience with engineered water control structures, land management and administration, conservation projects and programs, contract management, agriculture, engineering and/or biology, construction supervision would all be considered assets to this very diverse and challenging opportunity.
You need to be an enthusiastic team player and an effective communicator who builds positive working relationships with governments, landowners, industry, agricultural producers, volunteers and other conservation agencies.
You are self-motivated, organized, can manage numerous projects on tight deadlines and love working outdoors.
Your minimum three years of experience, related knowledge and academic achievements in engineering or natural resource management make you the ideal candidate for this position.
This position will be of interest to those with practical experience with water control structures, construction of roads and dams, hydrology or other areas within the water resource sector.
- A post-secondary degree or technologist diploma in a related discipline; a civil Engineering Technology diploma is preferred, but other diplomas in natural resource disciplines may be considered; equivalent practical field experience will also be considered
- Strong planning, reporting and project management skills
- Experience managing contracts and contractors, supervising construction, strong administrative and budgeting skills
- Awareness of BC Occupational Health and Safety practices
- Proficient with MS Office
- Experience with environmental regulations and best management practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work long/flexible hours, in remote locations, in a variety of weather conditions, and travel as required
- A valid class 5 driver’s license
- Experience with heavy equipment
- Knowledge of the BC Water Sustainability Act, Dam Safety Regulation and the approvals process
- Experience operating various equipment such as: ATVs, chainsaws, brush saws and hand tools
- Membership or eligibility for membership with ASTTBC
- An understanding of conservation and/or local agricultural and forestry practices
- Experience with engineering design, hydrology, Civil3D, AutoCAD and GPS or RTK surveying
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
Closing deadline: December 20, 2019
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment. Learn more at ducks.ca.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.