Conservation Technicians – 6 Summer Positions
- March 10, 2021
Please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations and the South Coast Conservation Land Management Program (SCCLMP) are seeking six Conservation Technicians to assist with summer fieldwork on:
- over 37,000 hectares of provincial conservation lands throughout the BC South Coast (primarily the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley).
- the ongoing Sturgeon Bank Marsh Recession Project investigation into the cause of tidal marsh loss throughout the Roberts Bank and Sturgeon Bank Wildlife Management Areas of the Fraser River delta front.
- vegetation surveys of tidal marshes and riparian areas throughout the Fraser River Estuary.
These positions will provide an excellent opportunity to learn about and work in the fields of Conservation and Resource Management while developing useful skills applicable to these and other job fields. Field equipment will be provided by DUC and candidates will be trained in safe use of all necessary equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct invasive plant management, including invasive plant surveys & mapping, mechanical removal, and chemical treatment
- Conduct operations & maintenance activities, including vegetation and trail maintenance and maintenance of water control structures
- Installation and maintenance of signs
- Public outreach to promote responsible use of Wildlife Management Areas
- Ecosystem inventory and mapping
- Cleanup of illegally dumped materials
- Possible opportunities to participate in additional DUC projects throughout the Lower Mainland, including Marsh Recession Research Field Team, Fraser Estuary Marsh Survey Team, and monitoring restoration projects in the Fraser Estuary
- Pursuing or completed post-secondary education in biology, ecology, environmental science or resource management (or equivalent knowledge and experience)
- Knowledge and experience with invasive plant management
- Valid driver’s license (in good standing) and a current driver’s abstract
- Interest in basic biology, local species and ecosystems; GPS and GIS-based technologies and survey techniques
- Construction experience (an asset) and operation of various field equipment including 4WD pickup truck, tools such as mowers, brush cutters, chain saws, chest waders, binoculars, and cameras as required
- These positions involve physical work, heavy lifting, and outdoor work in challenging environments in all weather conditions and occasionally in remote locations
- Successful candidate must be from at least one of the following demographics: under 30 years old, female, and/or Indigenous
- Anticipated start date May 3, 2021; anticipated end date September 3, 2021
- Pay: $18-22 per hour (commensurate with experience), 35-hour work weeks (plus 4% vacation pay)
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Closing Deadline: March 10, 2021 (EST)
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.