Conservation Technician (Term Position: May – August)
- January 27, 2023
Please visit online career center to submit your application online
Ducks Unlimited Canada’s Native Plant Solutions (NPS) is the most experienced company in Canada in naturalized stormwater system design, construction, and management. We are seeking highly energetic and motivated individuals to fill the role of Conservation Technician in our Winnipeg office from May to August 2023 (with some positions to be extended into the fall).
- Day-to-day maintenance of NPS’ wetland and upland projects: includes seeding, chemical and mechanical weed control, installation of erosion control products, wetland hand-planting, goose fence installation/removal, vegetation monitoring and assessments, and other tasks as
- Equipment operation: tractors, seeders, ATV’s, trailers, sprayers, and/or weedwhackers
- Ability to perform rigorous physical fieldwork under a variety of weather conditions, lift 50lbs, and crouch, bend, stretch, or stand for extended periods of time.
- Take, and pass, pesticide applicators license exam (time and exam cost will be reimbursed following successful completion)
- Relevant work experience in one or more of the following specialties: plant and/or wetland ecology, agriculture/farming, greenspace management, plant science, environmental science, or landscaping.
- Experience in one or more of the following: plant identification, weed management, herbicide handling and application, soil erosion management.
- Strong work ethic, enthusiasm for the outdoors and environmental.
- Practical field skills, good communication and organizational.
- Able to work independently or within a dynamic team.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license in good standing and must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Able to work flexible fulltime hours on short notice (including early mornings, evenings, weekends, and overtime).
- Some positions will extend into September, please be prepared to provide your availability.
- Preference may be given, but is not limited to, students between ages 17-29 based on available funding.
- The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 Vaccination.
Travel within Manitoba and to other provinces may be required for some staff. Travel expenses will be covered.
The wage for these summer positions is $16/hour to $20/hour, based on skill sets and experience, and on a 35-hour work week.
How to Apply:
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please visit online career center to submit your application online for confidential consideration. Your application should include cover letter (including date of availability for work), resumé, three work-related references, and academic web transcript (if a current or graduated student).
Deadline for applications is January 27, 2023.