- February 22, 2019
Please visit our online career center to submit your application (including resume, cover letter and transcript) for confidential consideration.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations, is seeking a highly motivated student to fill the Engineering Assistant position in Stonewall, MB.
Duties May Include
- Assisting engineering staff with the monitoring, surveying, design, construction, and inspection of prairie wetland infrastructure, namely:
- Collecting streamflow and water level measurements at remote DUC projects for use in modelling and research
- Conducting GPS and/or optical surveying in remote locations
- Contributing to hydrologic, hydraulic, structural, and geotech design of water control structures, using design manuals and computer modelling
- Contract management and site supervision for construction projects in remote areas
- Inspecting infrastructure condition, and planning future remediation works
- Duties are subject to change with the availability of work throughout the summer
- 4-month term, from early May to late August
- This position is eligible for up to 4 months of pre-graduation work experience with EGM
- This position will be based in our office at Oak Hammock Marsh (Stonewall, Manitoba), but will sometimes require travel to other regions in the province, occasionally for days at a time.
- Duties may involve heavy lifting, long hours, and outdoor work in varying weather conditions.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate civil engineering program (preference given to applicants enrolled in a co-op program)
- Completed courses in hydraulics and hydrology
- Previous experience with engineering design and computer modelling (HEC-RAS, etc.) an asset
- Previous construction experience an asset
- Knowledge of GPS and optical surveying an asset
- Knowledge of GIS software (e.g. ArcMap) an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work flexible hours with a strong work ethic; willing to get hands dirty
- Comfortable working in a team, or independently
- Experience working outdoors; operating an ATV, towing a trailer an asset
- Highly safety-conscious; valid CPR & First aid training an asset
- Valid driver’s license; travel as far as The Pas, MB
- Must have a passion for conservation, the environment and the outdoors
Our ideal candidate will be self-motivated, keen to learn and apply new skills, and be comfortable travelling and working varied hours, indoors and outdoors.
How to Apply
If you have a passion for conservation and meet the requirements for this position, please visit our online career center to submit your application (including resume, cover letter and transcript) for confidential consideration.
Closing deadline: February 22, 2019
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment. Learn more at ducks.ca.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.