- June 19, 2019
Please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
GIS Specialist – Barrie, Ontario
Salary Range: $63,000 – $67,000
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations, is seeking a confident, energetic and innovative GIS Specialist to join our team and help advance our GIS program.
As a member of our habitat conservation team, you will provide GIS technical expertise including data collection and management, decision support and cartographic products, project management as well as collaboration with team members to provide GIS products to support all Ontario programs. You will also provide provincial IT support as required.
You will also be responsible for:
- designing and implementing GIS products
- leading and participating in project teams providing GIS expertise
- developing, acquiring, managing, analyzing, and integrating geospatial data
- performing statistical analyses, 3-D and spatial modeling to support science/conservation planning
- Developing applications in collaboration with other GIS/IT professionals
- participating in the development of GIS-based partnerships that support DUC’s mission.
- maintaining hardware and software for GIS and IT systems and devices.
If you’re looking for that perfect opportunity to apply your GIS skills in a challenging and rewarding environment, DUC might be the place for you!
- Technical diploma in GIS and/or university degree in geography, natural resources or related discipline or related experience
- Solid understanding and strong working knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS suite (Desktop, Pro, ArcGIS Online and mobile apps)
- Proven knowledge of geographic and cartographic principals and excellent cartographic skills in developing various communication delivery products
- Understanding of GIS modeling approaches, wetland mapping principles and air photo interpretation experience
- Landscape Ecology background or prior experience with wetland ecosystems are preferred
- Demonstrated ability to listen and translate user needs into GIS products and procedures
- Excellent oral/written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Strong time management skills: ability to work on multiple projects, set priorities, and meet rigid deadlines
- Keen interest in GIS and related industry advancements
- Strong IT interest and aptitude is beneficial to assist local office needs as required
- A valid Canadian driver’s license is required
This position will be based from our dog-friendly office in Barrie, ON.
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Closing Deadline: June 19, 2019 (EDT)
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment. Learn more at ducks.ca.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.