How our work impacts conservation across Canada.
Where we’re working on the ground from coast to coast.
We need your help to protect our water, wildlife, and wetlands. Here’s how you can make an impact.
Wetland Specialist – Native Plant Solutions
- June 11, 2023
Please visit our online career center to submit your application.
Who We Are
Native Plant Solutions (NPS), a branch of Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), is looking for a confident, energetic, and dedicated Wetland Specialist to join our team. We have two positions available; one permanent, full-time and one 12 month fixed term. Special consideration may be given to the right candidate to work from any DUC office in AB, MB & SK. These positions will support DUC’s revenue generating consulting branch, NPS (www.nativeplantsolutions.ca ) across western Canada.
NPS provides environmental services and on-the-ground expertise in providing science-based solutions for designing, installing, restoring, and managing riparian, upland and aquatic ecosystems to industry, land developers and government agencies. Working with a multi- faceted talented team of NPS professionals, you will lead and support the development and implementation of wetland and green infrastructure projects and deliverables with our team.
What You Will Do
You are looking to make a difference by working with a passionate community of environmental professionals to put nature-based solutions to work! You will participate in and lead teams on projects associated with natural wetland systems and green infrastructure. You will advise our clients on decisions related to long-term environmental sustainability, environmental impacts/risks and benefits, and regulatory approval requirements. You are a big picture thinker, who can support and successfully execute long-term projects. You possess strong technical writing and presentation skills, and you will bring with you experience in writing a variety of reports and proposals. You will participate in business development initiatives and grow our team’s capacity and service line.
This position requires you to be an effective communicator; you are able to build positive working relationships internally and externally. You possess strong leadership, organizational, project management and interpersonal skills. You are self-motivated, enjoy a complex, changing environment and can adapt quickly in a dynamic working atmosphere. Your experience in the field and knowledge in wetlands makes you the ideal candidate for this position.
- A minimum B.Sc. in biology, ecology, or environmental sciences; an M.Sc. is an asset;
- A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant, professional experience including planning, coordination and leading field-based projects with a focus on wetland assessment, delineation and classification;
- Experience with the design/delivery of wetland-associated green infrastructure projects (e.g., stormwater/treatment wetlands etc.) is an asset;
- Understanding of environmental legislation, guidelines and standards, including wetland policies and directives in western Canada;
- Experience developing budgets, writing proposals and project reports;
- Proven ability to be productive while working independently as well as within a team;
- Ability to travel to conduct and oversee completion of field work;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions;
- Professional designation (e.g., P.Biol. or equivalent) or eligibility to apply is an asset;
- Experience in a consulting environment is an asset;
- A valid class 5 driver’s license and clean driving record.
What We Offer
- 3 weeks’ vacation with paid personal and sick days
- Comprehensive compensation & benefits package
- Hybrid work arrangement
Position Details: 2 positions – one permanent and one fixed term (12 months).
Salary Range: $52,700 – $81,400, depending on experience. Salary is based on a 35-hour work week.
Location: Winnipeg, MB – Special consideration may be given to the right candidate to work from any DUC office in AB, MB & SK.