Wetland Stewardship Specialist
- January 19, 2019
Please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration
Three-year term position
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), a leader in Canadian habitat conservation, is looking for a Wetland Stewardship Specialist (WSS) to join the Boreal Conservation team.
In this position, you will provide science support and knowledge transfer of current wetland science findings and conservation impacts to DUC staff, partners and others, through contracted project opportunities. You will also be responsible for:
- leading the development, implementation, delivery, and evaluation of contractual environmental services
- identifying contracted project opportunities, develop proposals and plan/execute projects
- participating in project activities such as wetland training, developing course materials and teaching groups (in the classroom or the field).
- leading/participating in meetings, workshops, webinars and conferences
- keeping up-to-date on science related to wetland ecology, ecosystem services, restoration, and climate change, particularly in a boreal context
You will have excellent oral and written communication skills, an ability to network effectively and cultivate successful working relationships and a demonstrated understanding of boreal wetland ecology and hydrology.
Your five years of experience in wetland ecology (or related discipline), along with a demonstrated ability to successfully lead, manage and complete conservation projects with multiple stakeholders will make you the ideal candidate for this position.
- Minimum BSc in ecology, hydrology, or natural resource management field; MSc and a professional designation in a related discipline would be an asset
- Experience in wetland sciences and wetland environments; experience in boreal wetlands and wetland hydrology would be an asset.
- Experience working in the environmental consulting industry, forest industry or oil and gas industry
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to prioritize, and manage time effectively, to maximize productivity and meet deadlines
- Strong verbal communication and technical writing skills, and ability to review and interpret legislation and scientific literature
- Strong problem-solving skills with advanced cognitive skills and emotional intelligence to facilitate and maintain client relationships
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of programs
This position will be based from our dog-friendly office in Edmonton, Alberta.
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Closing deadline: January 19, 2019
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment. Learn more at ducks.ca.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.