Wetlands are highly productive ecosystems. They’re also threatened. Southern areas of Canada have already lost up to 70 per cent of their wetlands, and the most populated areas have lost up to 95 per cent.
Despite ongoing habitat loss, Canada is currently home to one quarter of the world’s remaining wetlands. We have an extraordinary opportunity—and responsibility—to protect them. The good news is that it’s easy for you to help! Here are three ways:
- Get informed and stay informed. Understand the real impacts of wetland conservation and destruction, supported by science, and learn what’s happening across Canada to save these important ecosystems. Start by signing up for the monthly eDUC newsletter or by subscribing to Conservator magazine.
- Find your people. Volunteer or attend a fundraising event and connect with others in your community who value conservation and Canada’s great outdoors.
- Support Canada’s leading wetland conservation effort. Thanks to matching funds from our conservation partners, your $50 donation is enough to conserve an area of wetlands the size of an average home, long-term. And the more you give, the more habitat you save.
By taking one of these simple actions to support wetland conservation, you’re giving nature the power to:
- Protect us from the worsening effects of climate change, like flooding, drought and erosion.
- Clean pollutants from our water using vegetation and soils
- Maintain incredible biodiversity, supporting more than 550 wildlife species including 97 species at risk.
- Enrich our lives with beautiful places to learn, visit, play and relax.
Get informed, stay informed
As our environment changes, wetlands have our back—as long as we don’t turn our backs on them. Sign up now to receive our monthly eDUC newsletter to learn about conservation efforts in your community and across Canada.Sign up now